Monday, February 7, 2011

Glorifying Jesus Through My Work

I have been pondering much lately about how to glorify Jesus Christ through my employment. This is indeed a huge issue! Our work simply cannot be a parenthesis in our daily life from the so-called really big issues on our lives (marriage, family, friends, ministry, church, leisure, etc.). This stems from the obvious conclusion from Scripture that God created us men to work. If God created us for His glory, and if He created us to work, then God intends to be glorified through our work. Any man who is able to work and is not working, then surely his masculinity should be rightly questioned.

Thus, how can I make Jesus Christ look great through my work? Here are a few of the ways that I am striving to accomplish this:

  • I should be diligent in my work. In short, I must be a hard worker for the glory of Christ! A simple reading through the book of Proverbs makes this crystal clear. Anything short of hard-work is outright disobedience to God. Our hard work will do much in backing up our verbal witness about Jesus Christ.
  • No matter whether my job is mind-consuming or not, I must be spiritually-minded throughout my work experience for the glory of Christ. Jesus Christ must be the centerpiece of my thoughts. To be sure, no one sees this but God and me. It is so easy to fall on the extremes of thinking entirely about my job or of unceasingly day-dreaming during the brain-dead portions of my job.
  • My hard work is not enough. It might get the praise of superiors and it might get a raise, but to be really eternally helpful to others, I must speak the truth of God’s Word for the glory of Christ. Except for rare job scenarios, I should eagerly find appropriate opportunities to speak the truth of God to all the people I encounter through my work. There can be no excuses here.
  • There are many ways to seek the good of others in our work for the glory of Christ. For instance, in a sales atmosphere, it can easily be a “dog eat dog” mentality among the employees. However, even in the midst of a competitive climate, I do not have to win at all costs, and I can genuinely rejoice when others succeed.
  • My employment is meaningful and has the potential for great eternal reward. If I perceive my current employment to be a little thing, then I must be faithful in this little thing for the glory of Jesus Christ. This does not mean that I must stay at the same job indefinitely. It does mean, however, that I must trust God’s eternal purpose for my work here and now. God is in charge and He is definitely working out everything for my ultimate good.
O, Sovereign Lord, may you enable me to glorify you at my job by working hard, being spiritually-minded, speaking your truth, seeking the good of others, and trusting you during your appointed time for my job.

No comments:

Post a Comment