Monday, January 17, 2011

The Terrifying Reality of Apostasy

I was recently reminded of the terrifying reality of apostasy. There have been at least three friends that I have encountered on Facebook who have clearly abandoned their faith in Jesus Christ. At one time, each one of these men seemed to show signs that they were passionate followers of Jesus Christ. Upon thinking about these men, I have a few observations.

  • The path that these friends have taken is not simply sad. It is downright frightening! If these people assumed room temperature at this moment, they would spend eternity experiencing the wrathful presence of Jesus Christ.
  • This terrifying reality sends healthy fear up my spine. Left to my own devices, I could just as easily follow in their footsteps. Fear of not truly believing in Christ is surely Biblical (Hebrews 4:1).
  • I have to be diligently watchful that my determination to persevere in standing firm in Christ does not become a work of self-righteousness that I could boast about. I persevere only because of the redemption accomplished by Jesus Christ on my behalf and applied by the Holy Spirit on my behalf.
  • It takes great discernment to know how to respond to these men. Should it be with a rod or with gentleness? I have to admit that my first inclination is to verbally spank them. However, this might not always be the wisest route to take. If I am moved to confront these friends, I need to surely ask God for the wisest approach to take.
  • This turn of events among these men does not shake my robust belief in the sovereign preservation of God toward the elect. Jesus plainly declares that some people can show signs of salvation who are not truly saved (Luke 8:4-15). When the time of testing comes, they fall away. Only those who persevere until the end will be saved. Persevering believers are indeed the elect. It will be undoubtedly evident that God has protected these from apostasy. These friends of mine who have discontinued their faith in Christ are not the elect, that is, if they do not repent and come to true faith in Christ.
Lord, may I work out my own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is You who works in me, both to will and to work for Your good pleasure. Protect me from the evil pride of thinking myself superior because I am standing firm while others are forsaking you. My only hope is for You to keep me believing all my days in the saving work of Jesus Christ on my behalf.

No comments:

Post a Comment