Monday, January 3, 2011

The Profuse Benefits of the Word of God


One of the premier battles of the Christian life is to be spiritually-minded. That is, to have our thoughts unceasingly fixated on the Word of the God throughout the day, even in the midst of the rigors of our daily duties. Sound hard? Yes, indeed. Yet, it is doable, in measure, by the enabling grace of the Spirit of God. This, in turn, flavors our affections and stirs our obedience for our joy and for the glory of Jesus Christ.

As I ponder the benefits of the Word of God richly dwelling in my mind, I see at least four results. I use an alliteration to help me remember.

Worship. If the Word of God is the dominate theme of my thoughts, I can have the pleasure of exploding into satisfying worship of the God of the universe throughout the day.

Warfare. If the Word of God is foremost in my fallen but renewed mind, I can successfully war against sin in my moment-by-moment life as it attempts to pummel me with relentless temptations.

Wisdom.  If the Word of God is controlling my mental faculties, my decision-making throughout the day will be profoundly grounded with the wisdom of God.

Witness. If the Word of God is saturating my brain processing, my words can be in sync with the Word of God as I witness to others about the beauty of Jesus Christ and His saving work.

As God brings me into the new year of 2011, I desire to be filled with the Word of God in order that I may worship God, kill sin, make wise decisions, and be eternally helpful to others. Lord, I desperately need you to incline me to your Word from the moment I awake until the time you put me to sleep in the evening.

2 comments:

  1. I'll be praying for you in this regard, my Handsome Husband. May God grant you eyes to see the riches of His worth in His Word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1-8-10: Happy to love you today!

    ReplyDelete